Thursday, May 28, 2015

Adding a little more to my blog

As a part of living a healthier life, and growing older more gracefully, I have decided to try my hand at learning how to camp with an RV. We owned an RV for almost ten years before we had to sell it as we could not get out to camp or go to events like we used to. It was sitting in the backyard like a huge monolithic yard art piece!
1995 Jamboree Searcher
Our old RV had served us well. We even lived in it for six weeks when we relocated from California to Arkansas during the recession. My husband, myself, our (then) seven year old son, a German Shepherd, two rat terriers, and three cats lived in a 24' Class C RV at a local KOA campground. It is amazing that we all survived! That RV was truly our home for a while.

Fast forward four and a half years and we are recovering pretty well from the recession. We miss our RV and thought perhaps we could find another one! We looked for well over a year for another RV though. Many were water damaged. Some just had a horrible layout for our style of camping. I traveled to nearby towns and searched the internet every day for months on end with no luck.

It was frustrating to try to work with local dealerships because they seemed to loose interest in us when we said we didn't want to buy new. If they DID remain interested, they would not listen to us. Here is an example of a recent exchange this spring with a salesman who was helping us:
**************************************
From: Derek
To: WalkerLady
Subject: Class C Motorhome
Hey there, I’ve been waiting for a piece of inventory that would fit your needs and its finally here if your still on the market!
I just had a 2006 traded into us! This unit is 29 foot and has two slides in the living area. (blah blah blah I am editing out a bunch of verbiage here)
I’m sure this unit is going to go fast so if this sounds like something you’d consider please let me know!!
Look forward to hearing back,
Derek.
***
From: WalkerLady
To: Derek
Subject: Class C Motorhome
Thank you for keeping us in mind.
We told you that we absolutely do not want slides though.
Please take us off your list.
***
From: Derek
To: WalkerLady
Subject: Class C Motorhome
Dang, I thought I found you one! I will definitely keep you on my list!
Let me know if you need anything!
Derek!
****************************************
Sorry Derek, even if we hadn't found an RV already, we would not deal with you since you are not really listening to us anyway.

And yes, we did, finally, find a new RV. We just brought her home last weekend. She needs some fixing up, but we are confident that she will be a good fit for us and provide us with many years of adventure.
2005 Jamboree
I never drove our other RV. I have never done the setup routine when we went camping. I have a LOT to learn! I hope you enjoy this additional thread in my blog. It really is related to healthier living for me. I hope that this gets me out and about more. I hope that I go camping and while at a state park, I also go walking more. We will see, won't we?

Until next time, walk-on y'all!

1 comment:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Yay for the new RV!!! Looks like it's in pretty good shape!

We've been missing our trips in Fran the Van since my wife went back to work. Getting her all fixed up for at least one summer trip though. It really is a healthy way to vacation... great hikes all over the country if you find the right spots, plus you don't have to depend on fast food restaurants and can eat healthy meals. Have fun!

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...