Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Those TV food ads

TV food ads are literally in your face all the time. You cannot escape  They can trigger cravings too! Along with this is the exposure to alcohol and cigarettes. As a former smoker, I am amazed at how prevalent cigarettes are still on TV. Not so much the networks but on all the cable movies and many of the cable TV shows. 
Worse than that is alcohol though. That is still so acceptable in our society. You can't hardly get away from it on TV or on FaceBook. 
I drink too much wine. I want to cut down or cut out, wine in my life. My primary reason is that I don't need those calories or those types of calories on a daily basis. (high carb) It leads to snacking more too and messes up my sleep. I self medicate with it. At the end of the day, I want to de-stress fast and just blank out the day. I didn't do this all my life but it has gotten out of hand over the past few years.
Anyway, it is hard to quit when you see this person or that person talking about having a glass of wine with dinner or a drink or you see it on TV, everyone has a shot of whisky at the end of the day or a hard CSI case.
I don't know how successful I will be. I am off to a good start, but I've done this before and always talked myself into, "Just one" again and again. I have replaced the wine with a book. I go to bed earlier and read. Reading a book is a much healthier choice than a bottle of wine or the snacks that follow.
I see those food postings on FaceBook too and when I see it isn't a healthy recipe or food, I scroll past it like it was a dirty joke. Not my cup of tea. I am trying to look at drinking postings differently too. One drink is never enough for me. Other folks can't eat just one cookie. And we all know "Nobody can eat just one" potato chip! One is too many. I am accepting that now and working to find other ways to de-stress in the evenings.
Where am I going with this? Well, I have made a huge (to me) effort to say to myself, "You know what will happen if you give in. What can you do to change your mindset?" Then I make a big deal, again, only in my mind, about every stinkin' little victory I have over a drink, a snack, or whatever is tempting me to lead a life that I don't want. I might think I do, but I know, deep down inside, I don't.
Sorry to write so much this morning. This blog brings out the 'other me' who might be too verbose at times.

Till next time, make healthy choices and Walk-On!

No comments:

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...