Monday, April 15, 2013

To market, to market, jiggety jig...

Saturday Morning: I just finished a most delicious breakfast. We had eggs and sausages from the farmers' market, orange Cutie segments, homemade biscuits, and homemade hash browns with chopped onions. YUM.

As I sip the last of the morning coffee, I thought to my self that I should post on my blog more. Why don't I? Well, mostly I don't because I only have snippets of thoughts that don't seem to be enough to make a whole posting. Sometimes it is because I wrestle with the tedious chore of using my own photos vs the easier way of stealing borrowing photos from Google Images. I worry about copyright infringement. I don't like to do it. But I also do not like using my own photos because it takes so damn long to edit them (to MY exactness) and then to upload them. The photos on this posting took about an hour to prepare for the blog. I don't know if it is because I am so slow, or what.

Anyway...

The farmers' market is finally open for the season. (I know there is one egg missing from this dozen, use your imagination: This is what $4 eggs (a dozen), looks like. The other booth had them for $4.50 per dozen. They are free range chicken eggs, even the green ones.

This is early in the season for eggs. The hens react to daylight hours and as spring comes on, they lay more and more eggs. Later in the summer I would expect to see the yolks a LOT darker in color. The store bought egg is on the left and the farmers' market egg is on the right.
Both are about the same in freshness. That is a rarity as I would expect the store-bought eggs to be a lot older and less fresh. We can't always buy the farm fresh stuff and now I won't feel like I am missing out on 'good' eggs as much as I had thought.

I am not sure that the cost difference warrants the farm egg over the store egg. We could not tell any difference in flavors and I honestly wanted there to be a huge difference!

'Cage free' eggs in the grocery store are not the same as 'free range' eggs at the farmers' market, I may try farm eggs again, just because of that. (Or I could get my own hens...but I would hate having chickens in town.) Perhaps in another month the yolks will darken and the full flavor will come through.
Here is the rest of our haul at the market on Saturday:
There are sweet potatoes, the eggs, red lettuce, broccoli, beef and sausages. The sausages were pretty good, though I overcooked them and they were a tad dry...not burnt though. They came from the same vendor that had the eggs. I liked these young gals and will do business with them again!

Sunday Evening: We were very disappointed in the steaks. They were super small, SUPER expensive, and although tender, they had little if any, flavor. From the same vendor though, the hamburger was very well received by the hubster and our son. In some fairness, part of the reason that the steaks were not what we had hoped was because I thought we were paying a price per pound. The steaks ended up costing close to a dollar an OUNCE or more. Very very very expensive.
The ground beef though, at $6/lb, did have better flavor than the extra lean beef I get at the grocery store. Was it because it was fattier or because it was grass-fed? I am not sure. We will try grass-fed again...just not from this vendor.

Monday Afternoon: We inquired about the CSA program at another vendor. If we were to sign up, it would cost us about $20-$30 per week, paid in advance. ($800 for the most expensive) I am just not ready to commit to getting a mystery basket each week.

In other news, our governor is reportedly about to sign a bill, allowing farmers to sell raw milk to the public with some limitations but at least it will not be illegal anymore. I have plans to meet up with some small farmers after it is finally legal to buy the milk. I have plans for several homemade things from this.

Monday Night: Supper is over and I am tired. I've been running all day. I wish I could say I was jogging all day but I don't do running for exercising. The day flew by...just way too fast. Yoga wasn't as rewarding as I had hoped. I am looking forward to our regular teacher coming back. The sub isn't all that bad but our regular teacher has us spoiled. Tomorrow is Taekwondo. I still feel so dumb in that class. I can't remember the sequences of the moves. I plan to ask for a little more help or to be allowed to take notes. I hope if I can practice at home I can remember more than two moves at a time!

Oh and last but certainly not least!!!! THANK YOU to all who leave comments. I do read every single one and I have no good excuse for not answering every single one. I hope you'll overlook this little shortcoming of mine. I, very much, appreciate all your comments, I really do. Well maybe not the spammer comments. I get tired of deleting them over and over again. blah!!!

Walk-On dear readers and have a great week!

No comments:

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...