Friday, April 05, 2013

Donut Rolling

I DID make it to my first martial arts class ... and survived.... and didn't hurt myself or others around me! I have about seven more free classes to go. I needed to do something to motivate me to get back on track with my exercising. I get bored so easily!

My goal is to try the martial arts, for the free one month trial. Then spend the money for a membership there, or at a local gym. Somehow I am going to find the money for a trainer for at least a few sessions if I go back to the gym. I wish I could afford one all the time! Things never did work out with the trainer I was trying to meet up with a few weeks back and I have given up on him. :(

I hope to get a photo of me in my martial arts uniform. If I do, you'd better not laugh at me. I felt SO out of my element Tuesday! My first class included four boys...teens or tweens maybe, one 20-ish year old girl, and the two instructors, one male and one female. I got lots of special treatment...I am sure it wasn't because I have the coordination of a donut. Actually, at least a donut can roll...I haven't had to do that yet, but I saw some of the more advanced students do that.

I struggled with going back to the second class on Thursday, but I did. I am glad I did too. I was awarded my first belt! Yes, it is the white one, but it is MY first! They also did a little ceremony to present it to me. I like feeling so special!

I feel very uncoordinated, clumsy, and way out of my comfort zone in class. It is strange saying "SIR" and bowing. I find I am strangely loving it! I don't know if I will keep up with it beyond the free 30 day pass. I DO like a challenge though and the thought of perhaps getting at least one colored belt someday is appealing.

I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

Sandy H said...

You can do it! There's a couple of classes at my Y that I'm aiming for (not martial arts, but other types), but feel like I've got to get myself back into a certain amount of shape before I can tackle them. I can picture you in the class, ready for all takers. Just wait until you have to spar with the tweeners! You'll show 'em.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I know finances are a dilemma, but sure sounds like you're having fun with it and it would be great to see you with a colored belt in a future post! Hope you keep enjoying it!

Cynthia said...

Who would dare to laugh at a martial artist, especially one with a genuine belt?
But I know what you mean about feeling funny in a mixed age group. I've been taking a college class (for the first time in 25 years) and am old enough the be the mother of everyone else in the class. The first class, the instructor even called me "young lady" and there were some titters from the crowd. I felt a momentary pang, but then thought, "Go ahead and laugh, punks! You won't be laughing when I skew the test curve off the charts!" There are advantages to being the oldest one in the room.

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...