Thursday, February 23, 2012

Preach What You Practice!

I've found myself stepping into the limelight more and more as I share my story and my methods of weight loss and living a better, healthier life. I guess having lost almost 100 pounds gives me some credibility in their eyes. I wasn't really searching out this kind of attention, but I am enjoying it! I love, love, love, helping out anyone I can! I also love having this happen because it really helps keep my motivation up and running...along with my butt! hahaha

With all this notoriety, comes a lot of responsibility. First off I have to keep on top of my choices to stay true to what I say. I am so glad I have documented my story! There are many out there that have succeeded like me. Many are out there helping others. I am in my little niche of my little world and am helping those around me. It motivates me and keeps me rejuvenated!

I have to be sure of where I get my information from and I have to believe in what I say...that it is working and will keep working. I am not at the end of my journey yet. I am still working on eating enough calories and believing that I can eat these amounts and still lose weight. It goes way against how I was brought up to lose weight. It just is not about cutting calories to starvation levels and exercising six hours a day. It has not worked in the past, so why would it magically work now? A person can't stay on a starvation diet forever. Eventually they would die.

Just think, if you were locked away with bread and water only, what happens? You lose weight, right? Let's say you were locked away for a year. What happens first? Some weight comes off. What happens next? You grow weaker. As you lose weight, the body panics and hangs on to the fat, then the body takes more muscle, you grow weaker still, then the body takes the rest of the fat as you lay on the floor with no energy...and you die. It is similar with restricted calorie diets. We have to eat to keep strong and we have to build strength/muscle at the same time. Otherwise our bodies will hang on to the fat and make us weaker and weaker until we give up...or die!

At our weight loss support group I am going to make a magic wand out of a stick and tinsel. I plan to wave it over each member, during one of our meetings, and I will promise that everyone will magically lose 20 pounds overnight! It has as much of a chance of working as so many of the newest, latest, greatest, quick loss diets out there these days...doesn't it?

I not only practice what I preach, I preach what I practice!
A week or so ago, I challenged my group to park in the far parking lot, before coming in to the center for their exercise classes and such. I didn't see anyone parking there in the week that followed. However, it HAS kept ME parking in the far parking lot, fearing someone would see me if I parked closer! I think this is funny. I also like how it really proves the point that a support group really does help keep you motivated!

Remember that you have to fuel your body, but in a smarter, healthier way. Remember that having support throughout these changes in your lifestyle are critical to making this work for the rest of your life...not till next week, or next month, but forever. Your body is the only one you have. Treat it like a precious thing...because it IS one!

TIP OF THE DAY: Can't slow down your eating habits? Here is a silly little thing I would suggest for you to try...eat chicken with a fork. Never touch it with your fingers. Don't worry if you can't get that last little morsel off the bone. Peel away the skin (if you have it) with the fork too. Need more of a challenge? Use chopsticks!
If you can't imagine life without KFC, use these tips. It is a great step in learning how to slow down your eating, lower your calories by leaving the skin behind, and not sucking off every morel of meat from each bone. THEN we can work on weaning you off the KFC and on to better choices.


RECIPE: CHEESECAKE
From the book "Not Just Cheesecake!" by Shelley Melvin
Now you know this has to be pretty good, or I wouldn't share it! Even our group at the center liked it. There are a few variations to it, but I will share what I tried and liked best.
Ingredients:
2 cups non-fat yogurt *cheese (quality Greek yogurt such as Fage works)
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg whites (I buy the cartons of 100% real egg whites)

Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly grease a 7 inch spring-form pan or 8 inch pie pan.
In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla, mixing gently with a fork or whisk until well blended. Stir in beaten eggs.

Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula if need be. Bake until the center is set. (20-25) minutes for a pie pan or 45-55 minutes for a spring-form pan. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Refrigerate until firm.

Notes: I use a pie pan. I usually overcook it. I like a good quality jam or fresh fruit with my cheesecake. *I make yogurt cheese by taking Greek yogurt and putting it in a coffee filter in a strainer and setting that over a bowl or large measuring cup. I put a piece of wax paper over the top and set this in the fridge for at least overnight, sometimes longer. The whey drips out of it and you are left with super thick yogurt cheese.

Serves 8
Each serving has 80 calories, 8g protein, 12g carbs, 0g fat, 0g cholesterol, 49g sodium, 11g sugar (unless you use a sugar substitute)

PARTING THOUGHT:
Just a little tidbit from a recent walk...I found this treasure along the curb. It was a clock. Most of the insides are missing. I hauled that about a half mile home with me. I plan to clean it up and put shelves in it for a wall hung curio cabinet. I like 'repurposing' things.
Note the apple and water ready for me to consume after my walk too. :)

Last Sunday my 11 yr old son took this photo of Ziva and me on the trail:
Until next time, go for a walk!

QUOTE FOR TODAY: "Today I will see something positive in all situations."

No comments:

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...