Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Little Holiday Fear?

Shouldn't that be cheer, not fear? It depends on who you talk to. Some folks that are enjoying the holidays are fearing what that scale will say once they get back to their more normal lives!In the past, many of us would use the pounds gained over the holidays as an excuse to break our most common New Year's Resolution, even before the new year is officially here!I know I have gained a few pounds over the holidays. I know why too! I actually didn't do all that bad with foods. I enjoyed the holidays and the food while eating pretty sensibly, overall. Truth be told, I am hoping some of the weight gain will be from water weight that drinking things like wine and vanilla rum will cause! I didn't pig out on candy but I did have three mini chocolate candy bars and one chocolate covered cherry over the past week. I also had a slim sliver of my husband's chocolate birthday cake and less than a half cup of vanilla bean ice cream with it.
The bigger reason I've gained a few pounds is because I haven't been exercising like I would usually be. I managed to get in some exercises every day, but not at the intensity that I would normally do.
So yes, I am guessing I've put on about five pounds.I got a lot of 'exercise' gifts this year. I now have a pretty neat home gym to broaden my exercising with! I got a heart rate monitor/watch, an exercise ball, strap on weights, and a cool pair of black with purple mottled striped exercise pants! (purple is my favorite color)
I recently found a Pilate's/Yoga DVD at the thrift store, along with a step exercise platform thingy. I already owned a pair of five pound dumbbells and stretchy-bands. Add in the shows I found on TV that I've recorded so I have a bunch of routines to pick from, and I am all set for a new set of exercises to add into my regular routine.
I know I need to build more muscle and I also know I get bored doing the same old thing all the time. All these new tools will open up a whole new set of possibilities.
When spring and summer roll around, I will change these tools around and use them in different exercises to stave off boredom then too. Plus they say that your body gets used to the same old, same old and changing things up keeps the body hopping, in more than one way.
I plan to have one more posting about goal setting and New Year's Resolutions, done around the first of the year. I have lots of plans for 2012. I hope to inspire you to make some plans along with me! Till next year, be good to yourself!
Now go for a walk!!!

2 comments:

builditbob said...

Ah miz sherri, how I do luv reading your wonderful blog. Your were truly born to do this. You always come across as witty, colorful, and informative, like a good friend who has really done her homework. Thanks for being so open with your ongoing lifestyle transformation. You sharing your journey with the world so honestly will help untold ....MILLIONS?! You're like George Baily in "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE", you've no idea how many people's life you touch. Thanks So Much. You are a TREASURE!!!

Sherri said...

Geesh Robert, you're making me blush here! lol Seriously though, I hope there are folks out there that this blog is helping. I've found other blogs that are helpful too, but many of them go by the wayside because those who were being successful, quit trying and then quit their blogs!
Anyway, homework is on going. I still am a skeptic of many things I read about, until they are proven true by someone I know and respect.
I have some ideas for the support group too. I'll see you next year at the center and tell you what I am thinking of offering for class!

In the meantime, thanks for cheering me on. You've helped to keep me motivated for over a year now too! See you next week!

After the frenzy

Abby is still around and about.  I know she's been pretty quiet though.  She kinda over celebrated the new year's arrival. A souther...